May 31, 2012
McCarthy Overpass/McGrath Hwy community meeting
Thursday, May 31, 6-8 pm
290 Washington St (map)
WHAT: Very Important MassDOT Public Meeting about future of McCarthy Overpass on McGrath Highway (between Washington Street & Somerville Avenue) hosted by Somerville Legislative Delegation and Mayor Curtatone
WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:
- MassDOT plans to spend $10.9 million to repair the McCarthy Overpass to extend its useful life for at least 10 years
- The Overpass is dangerous for drivers, pedestrians and bikers - fixing it now keeps the dangerous road conditions for at least 10 more years.
- To quickly develop and construct a safer road network connecting East Somerville with Union Square that is safe for cars, pedestrians and bikes.
- Instead of rushing to repair, to insist that MassDOT listen to their consultants and institute weight restrictions on the Overpass rather than repair it while the de-elevation study underway is completed.
Your participation at this community meeting will show MassDOT that they need to immediately take down the Overpass.
Somerville deserves fair treatment:
- The community has requested Mass DOT to REMOVE NOT REPAIR the Overpass. Charlestown (Sullivan Square) and Jamaica Plain (Casey Overpass) had similar Overpasses that needed repair or removal. The Sullivan Overpass was removed and the Casey Overpass will be removed.
- Somerville residents should have the same opportunity for a community process with MassDOT about the McCarthy Overpass as Jamaica Plain residents have been accorded
OTHER KEY ISSUES:
- Delaying removal of the Overpass will severely restrict economic development opportunities for Inner Belt/Brickbottom that the Green Line Extension will enable.
- Repairing the Overpass ignores the clearly stated goal of the City's Comprehensive Plan to reduce artificial physical barriers between Inner Belt and Brickbottom, and between East Somerville and West Somerville.
- Planned road and bridge repair projects on McGrath Highway will reduce traffic on McGrath for several years. This time should be used for a complete public process to complete the removal study and design the surface road replacement.