The bridge closures are here
The price of the future Green Line through Somerville is a lot of annoying construction. In a couple of weeks that begins in earnest with the first major bridge closing. Here’s the schedule:
- Broadway bridge at Ball Square: March 22, 2019 – March 2020
- Washington St underpass in East Somerville: April 2019 – Fall 2019 and also Spring 2020 – Fall 2020
- Medford St bridge at Gilman Square: July 2019 – Spring 2020
- School St bridge: End of 2019 – Fall 2020
- Cedar St bridge: Early 2020
- Lowell St bridge: Summer 2020
The closures of the Broadway and Medford Street bridges are necessary in order to accommodate the construction of new Green Line light-rail tracks. Currently, these bridges are only wide enough to accommodate the existing commuter rail service that operates beneath them. The Washington St. bridge requires a complete reconstruction of abutments and structural span in order to accommodate the addition of new light-rail transit service and the Community Path.
This article has useful maps for all three closures and their associated detours for vehicles, buses, bikes, and pedestrians.