AIA study on well-designed transportation projects
The American Institute of Architects has released research on key design strategies that can be crucial in determining whether a transportation project will benefit its community.
- Employing an integrated design process through which planners, designers, transportation officials, and builders develop a unified plan
- Including all community stakeholders from the outset
- Using three- and four-dimensional images and graphics to increase citizen involvement, understanding, and buy-in
- Creating human-scaled structures and spaces that make busy transportation hubs more manageable
- Using easily legible signs and directions that make complicated multimodal systems easier and safer to navigate
- Designing projects to be both durable and adaptable to new transportation modes and community needs